Thursday, July 30, 2009

Judge a Book By Its Cover

Do you ever judge a book by its cover? I do all the time. It is usually how I pick books out at random when I am looking for something different to read. The title or cover art draws my attention, and if the subject seems interesting I'm sold. Probably not the best way to pick out books to read but I haven't been unhappy with my choices yet. Sometimes just going with that first impression can really pay off.


When I was engaged to be married I was wandering around a bookstore and on a display was Diary of a Mad Bride. Being a bride myself it caught my attention. The funny cover art made it look like it would be a funny book. Oh my was it a great book. Actually I would have to rank it as one of my favorite reads ever. I have also read Diary of a Mad Mom-To-Be by the same author, and loved that as well.

Recently I purchased I Was Told There'd Be Cake. The title is what got me, and I love books of essays because with a baby they are so easy to read. Finish a chapter and you can put it down without feeling like you are missing out by not reading more. I am about half way though and I am really enjoying the stories. Any book that makes me laugh is a winner in my opinion.
I had a Barnes and Noble gift card to use recently and no idea what I wanted to purchase. So I wandered the store in search of some thing that caught my eye. While perusing the humor section I happened across The Idiot Girl and The Flaming Tantrum of Death. The amusing cover art and title instantly caught my eye and made me wonder what on earth this book was about. On a whim I picked it up and I am going to take a chance that it is good because the cover conveys that it should be a funny read. I haven't starting it yet but I can't wait to see if my judgment based on the cover was correct.

Tell me, what books have you judged by their cover and was it what you expected it to be once you read the story?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so thank you in advance! If I reply to comments I usually do so by email, so if your email address is not public in Blogger feel free to email me at thedayslikethis@gmail.com so I have your email to respond to you. Also, please note that I moderate comments, so your comment should appear shortly (unless you are a spammer, in which case I will delete your comment and stick my tongue out in your general direction).