Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Five Random Things About Me

1. I hate spiders, earwigs, and centipedes. Of all the bugs to enter my home, why does it always have to be one of these three nasty bugs? I have been pinched by the pinchers on the rear end of an earwig that was hiding in my blanket. We had baby spiders hatch in the house and I was vacuuming them up for WEEKS. Once I was using the toilet and a centipede ran out from under the vanity. I somehow managed to stand on the toilet seat from a seated position without touching the floor. It was an amazing feat of necessity. Thankfully I have a bug killer extraordinaire in my husband.

2. I love to read, but I rarely have time to read more than a few pages a day. If given the chance I would start a book and not stop until I had finished reading it. During a summer break from college one year I worked as a receptionist for a company that refinished kitchens. I was alone in the showroom all day waiting for the phone to ring, accepting supply deliveries, and not much else. Since I had so much free time just waiting around being a person available just in case someone called or stopped in I would read. Most days I would get through a whole book a day. I was in the library refilling my stock every weekend. It was wonderful. Getting paid to read; now that is my dream job.

3. I save pictures from catalogs and magazines of things that I like or things I think look beautiful. Once I have a stack I cut out the parts I like and make up little rooms like an interior designer would on an idea board. I stick the things I feel go together on a page and put it in a plastic sleeve in a binder I have set aside just for my collection of room designs. It is sort of an odd hobby, but since I can't afford most of these things at least I can keep the beautiful pictures. Then one day if I win the lotto (I can dream) I will have lots of ideas to show the contractor that I will hire to build my dream home.

4. I am a hypocrite. In the past I have been very vocal of how stupid I thought Twitter was, and how it was contributing to the downfall of our society. When I thought of it I saw our future just like in Wall-E where everyone was fat and jellylike, floating around on a hovercraft, talking to each other through chat screens even when side by side. Then I had to sign up and to learn how to use Twitter for a marketing project at my job. It didn't take long before I was hooked and adding all of my favorite bloggers and writers feeds to my list and coming up with silly things to write in 140 characters or less to the few followers I have managed to get. Now I check in to see what was written by the people I follow on a daily basis.

5. I plan to get a tattoo sometime in the near future. I want to get a little sun on my ankle to symbolize my son Ian who is my sunshine, my only sunshine. He makes me happy when skies are grey and when they are partly sunny too. And since he will never know how much I love him I want something so I will never have my sunshine far away. (Silly, I know but You are my Sunshine is our song.) My husband doesn't think much of this idea, but it is something I really want to do. So when I finally get over being a chickenshit I am just going to go and do it.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I have 5 Tattoos! I'm getting a turtle on my foot sometime soon. If you want someone to go with you...just ask me! I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, we are living parallel lives.

    I finally just got my tattoo pictured in my head, now I need the guts to go through with it.

    Some good drugs might help...

    Total twitter hypocrite too. Now I can't stop.

    Hate bugs...

    Okay, so you're getting the picture here.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so thank you in advance! If I reply to comments I usually do so by email, so if your email address is not public in Blogger feel free to email me at thedayslikethis@gmail.com so I have your email to respond to you. Also, please note that I moderate comments, so your comment should appear shortly (unless you are a spammer, in which case I will delete your comment and stick my tongue out in your general direction).