Yesterday my mom told me that her sister and brother-in-law come to visit and took her to lunch at Big Boy. They had a nice meal and caught up with each other. I haven't been to a Big Boy in years but just hearing about my mom having lunch there brought back tons of memories.
When I was young my parents wouldn't take us out to eat often but when we did it was often to Big Boys. So in my youth I thought of Big Boy as what a restaurant should be. As I grew I learned to enjoy the differences in restaurants but Big Boy always had a special place in my heart.
When I was in high school and after graduation my friends and I would often go to Big Boy to just sit around and chat over milkshakes. I recall some wonderful conversations and special times with friends at Big Boy with sweet, sticky strawberry milkshakes crowding the table.
After I moved up state a high school friend of mine lived not that far from me. It was a great thing living far from where I grew up and yet still having a friend I have known since first grade close by to visit with. We would often meet in between our two homes in a town called Clare at, you guessed it, the Big Boy. I met her there countless times for lunch and to catch up on what was new in each others lives.
When I first starting dating my husband we went to get the breakfast buffet at Big Boy nearly every weekend for several months. It was kind of our place for a while and we got to know each other over eggs and various breakfast meats. We even had our rehearsal breakfast at Big Boy the day before our wedding. The woman who married us was unable to do an evening rehearsal do to a prior commitment so we had it early in the morning. Then both of our families crammed into the Big Boy and ate breakfast together. It was a lot of fun and a special memory.
I never really realized how much Big Boy was a part of my past and my memories until yesterday. For me it was a place of connecting with people I care about and indulging in deliciously bad for you food. I am going to have to visit a Bog Boy soon and rekindle more long forgotten memories. Who knows what else is collecting dust in my brain that Big Boy might trigger to come forth to my mind.
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
2 comments:
I love comments, so thank you in advance! If I reply to comments I usually do so by email, so if your email address is not public in Blogger feel free to email me at thedayslikethis@gmail.com so I have your email to respond to you. Also, please note that I moderate comments, so your comment should appear shortly (unless you are a spammer, in which case I will delete your comment and stick my tongue out in your general direction).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
now i am craving big boy. although, i need to tell you that I've never BEEN to Big Boy. Sounds fantastic.
ReplyDeleteHi Lin:
ReplyDeleteI like the new format for the blog just fine. For me, it's not how it looks, but what you are saying that matters anyway. I had a Big Boy hamburger and onion rings and really enjoyed my lunch. Chuckle Love, Mom