Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Understanding

Why is it so difficult for some people to understand and respect other peoples choices when it isn't the choice they would make for themselves?

Last night I told my husband that I was planning to challenge myself to eat vegetarian for two meals a day for two weeks (exceptions being dinner and holidays, particularly Thanksgiving.) As expected he made fun of me, as he does not think very highly of the vegetarian lifestyle. He got out Ian's temporal thermometer and attempted to scan my forehead to make sure I was feeling alright.

I know it seems silly to be a half vegetarian, and to do so for only two weeks. To me it is a great way to eat a little healthier and to try out something I have always thought might suit me well. Two weeks gives me enough time to get use to it, and maybe create a good habit out of the experience.

I don't eat enough vegetables. I try to add them into our meals where I can, but as the person who doesn't do most of the cooking it is difficult. During the work week I am on my own for two meals every day. Those two meals are my ticket to turning around my eating habits and adding what is missing to my diet. It is a change I am taking seriously so that my son will grow up knowing and loving vegetables.

It may be a silly idea to some, but to me it is what I need right now.

2 comments:

  1. I had that myself from my family when I said I was going to do a raw food followed by a liquid cleanse for a month. They looked at me like I had lost my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very healthy to eat half veggie!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so thank you in advance! If I reply to comments I usually do so by email, so if your email address is not public in Blogger feel free to email me at thedayslikethis@gmail.com so I have your email to respond to you. Also, please note that I moderate comments, so your comment should appear shortly (unless you are a spammer, in which case I will delete your comment and stick my tongue out in your general direction).