I survived my first babysitting experience last night. Ian did great and wasn't overly upset with having to share my attention with another baby. He did however get upset over our visitors crying. The baby would cry, and then Ian would cry, thus making the baby cry louder, and Ian would cry louder, so on and so forth.
I made it though the evening with no problems. It might have given me a couple more gray hairs, but at least I didn't pull them out during those moments of the symphony of cries.
Ian seemed to adjust well to the noise after a while however. He was sitting at the bookshelf looking at his books, his back to us, doing his best to ignore the noise. Meanwhile I was attempting to calm our sweet visitor down to take her bottle before going to sleep. I think that she was so overtired from such an exciting evening in a new place, that she had some trouble settling down to sleep. But once she went to sleep, she was OUT like a light. I heard not another peep out of her the rest of the night. What an angel.
After our guest went to bed, in the pack n' play in my bedroom, I cuddled up Ian for a good long snuggle. After he had soaked up the loving I put him to bed and he went right to sleep too. It was obviously a very exciting evening for all.
After everyone was asleep I relaxed a bit and reflected on if I could handle the juggle everyday. I really don't know if I could right now, now. But, it takes 9 months to make a baby, so I think that I could handle having two kids in a year. Ian would be a year older, a year more developed. He would require a little less hands on time for every little task (changing clothes, getting ready for bed, eating.) I think that I could handle it then. I guess that is the key; spreading the kids out far enough. I am definitely not someone who could manage twins. Oy!
I feel better knowing that if we are lucky enough to repeat the miracle of having another baby I can juggle the demands of both. Especially since I wouldn't be doing it alone everyday like I did last night. I have Chris, who would be a really big part of being able to manage the extra everything.
Thank you so much, our little visiting baby, for helping me to come to terms with a big decision.
(Disclaimer: I may know that I can handle another baby, but do not look for an announcement anytime too soon. We have one more hurtle to manage before the decision is made to try for another baby. That hurtle is of course finances. Oh joy!)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love comments, so thank you in advance! If I reply to comments I usually do so by email, so if your email address is not public in Blogger feel free to email me at thedayslikethis@gmail.com so I have your email to respond to you. Also, please note that I moderate comments, so your comment should appear shortly (unless you are a spammer, in which case I will delete your comment and stick my tongue out in your general direction).