Tuesday, August 11, 2009

If I Could...

I think that I might have a problem with thinking of the worst case scenario. Sometimes when I can't sleep (or perhaps I can't sleep because) I start thinking about the bad things that could happen and what I would do if they did happen. It makes me feel more secure to work out what I would do so that I am prepared if disaster strikes.

(Yeah, I know it is kind of nutty. I never said that I was totally sane though did I?)

One of the things I think about are house fires. What would I do if I woke up in the middle of the night and my house was on fire? Besides Chris, Ian and the dog what would I try to save from the fire if I could?

If I could only manage to save a few items from my house before escaping a fire I would pick the following, in this order.

1. I would grab my purse. It usually contains my cell phone, insurance cards, debit card, and emergency credit card. If I could salvage one thing this would be it because it would be the saving grace to get us through this situation with as much ease as is possible under such horrible circumstances. We would be able to call 911 (assuming my stupid phone isn't dead again), and have access to money to find a place to stay the night and get new clothes. Also, recently I have been backing up my pictures to a USB drive that I have in my purse. So I wouldn't lose all of my precious photos.

2. If I had time to grab another item, I would attempt to grab Mason's leash and harness. It isn't something we would necessarily NEED in this type of emergency but I would feel more comfortable knowing my little puggy would be safely secured in all the chaos.

3. The final things I would grab would be my computer to salvage all of my photo archives and my music collection and Chris' computer to save all of his important work. I put this in the third and final place because we most certainly could live without these things, it would just be nice to not have to replace them.

Every other material possession can be replaced. Yeah there are things that have a lot of value to me (both monetarily and sentimentally) but I can live without them. As long as my family is safe and we have what we need to survive we will be OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so thank you in advance! If I reply to comments I usually do so by email, so if your email address is not public in Blogger feel free to email me at thedayslikethis@gmail.com so I have your email to respond to you. Also, please note that I moderate comments, so your comment should appear shortly (unless you are a spammer, in which case I will delete your comment and stick my tongue out in your general direction).