My birthday is tomorrow and it has me thinking about my childhood neighbor Blaise (at least that is what he went by, his given name was Biaggio). He was such a nice person to me when I was growing up and I thought of him like an uncle. When I was little I would go over to visit while he was sitting on the porch and he would send me in the house to pick out a cookie from the bread box. Thinking back I would guess he bought cookies just to have something to offer me when I came over.
Blaise worked for a florist and on my birthday he would send me a bouquet of flowers. What a treat it was for a little girl to have a delivery man come to the door with a bouquet for her birthday. One year he had a bouquet of sun flowers delivered for me, and that was the most grand thing I have ever seen in my life. Getting flowers for my birthday made me feel so special.
My second summer home from college Blaise passed away just before my birthday. So now every year around my birthday Blaise always pops into my mind. His kindness to me will never be forgotten and I will strive to pass along what he gave to me. Every child should have someone who makes them feel special.
Thursday, August 13, 2009
1 comment:
I love comments, so thank you in advance! If I reply to comments I usually do so by email, so if your email address is not public in Blogger feel free to email me at thedayslikethis@gmail.com so I have your email to respond to you. Also, please note that I moderate comments, so your comment should appear shortly (unless you are a spammer, in which case I will delete your comment and stick my tongue out in your general direction).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
argh anti-aging creams!
ReplyDeleteeven the drug store ones are expensive.
hi!