I have never really been much of a cook. Mostly this is due to my issues with handling raw meat and insecurities over being able to cook it thoroughly enough that no one will die from consuming it. Because of this, my husband has taken on the roll of the cook in the house and he has made most of our meals ever since we got married. He has done an amazing job with it too.
Recently I decided to get past my insecurities in the kitchen and learn to make some meals that I feel confident preparing. No reason more than to be able to provide meal for my family on my own for the sake of knowing I can do it. I put "become a confident cook" on my life list and decided I would work toward that goal a little at a time.
So I starting collecting recipes online and buying cookbooks that interested me. From those I found a few recipes that I felt I could manage without making a big disaster of things. Armed with a meat thermometer, I got started and actually managed to handle meat without much of a problem. So I started making a meal here and there from the recipes I had on hand and found that they actually came out pretty good most of the time.
It wasn't long before I started to feel like I knew was I was doing. It took a lot less time that I imagined to start to gain some confidence in myself that the food I was preparing was actually good. With my trusty meat thermometer I knew that I could at least manage to get any meat I cook to a temperature that would kill anything that would make us all sick.
Last night I made something completely new that we have never tried before. I managed to get through the whole process without feeling once like I didn't know what I was doing. It occurred to me that I WAS already feeling confident!!! I had made most of my families dinners for the past two weeks and no one got sick and my husband seemed to like all the things I have made.
I think that we can call this life list item well done!
Friday, April 09, 2010
2 comments:
I love comments, so thank you in advance! If I reply to comments I usually do so by email, so if your email address is not public in Blogger feel free to email me at thedayslikethis@gmail.com so I have your email to respond to you. Also, please note that I moderate comments, so your comment should appear shortly (unless you are a spammer, in which case I will delete your comment and stick my tongue out in your general direction).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This sounds a lot like myself! I always labeled myself a terrible cook simply because I didn't "know how." So after years of calling myself a terrible cook, I came to believe I really was, even though I had never even tried. When we got married, I too decided it was time to face my fears and take the plunge. I bought a Rachel Ray cook book and started looking up recipes online. And I found out I wasn't as terrible as I thought I was! I don't by any means make anything terribly creative or impressive, but it's a start. That's so awesome that you are becoming confident in your cooking and trying out new dishes. I'm hoping someday I will have the time to really learn to enjoy cooking. Do you find it difficult to cook because of Ian? Jack wants to be in the kitchen when I am and just cries the entire time because I won't let him in.
ReplyDeleteI defiantly find it hard to cook when Ian is throwing a fit or wanting to get involved. Luckily most of the time Chris is able to distract him so I can get things taken care of. Most of the stuff I cook isn't really that fancy or creative, but I have come a long way and can put a tasty meal on the table.
ReplyDelete