Monday, April 26, 2010

Harmony

A post today by Call Me Cate of Show My Face on Equality and Independence has me thinking a lot about my own relationship with my husband.  Cate's post talks about having equal "me" time and equal contribution on household tasks.  When I think about it, that balance and independence is really the key to making a happy relationship.  At least it is the key for my husband and I.

My husband, Chris, and I have been married for almost eight years (on June 2.)  We tend to not fight very often, if at all.  Yeah, we do get irritated with each other on occasion.  (Who doesn't have a bad day now and then?)  However, for some reason we manage to allow each other the room to be ourselves, but together.  We often marvel at how we manage to still want to be together though we like so many different things, but I think it is that difference that keeps us together. 

We have a healthy does of independent time; doing the thinks that we enjoy separately.  In fact a majority of our time is spent doing the things we each enjoy.  I read and enjoy movies while Chris likes his video games and hockey.  That alone time seems to make our together time more precious and keeps us just far enough apart to not get sick of each other.  It is a balance we came to naturally at first, by some miracle, and I hope we can work to maintain it forever.

On Sunday morning we had the longest to-do list of chores that needed to get done.  I decided to drag myself away from playing with Ian to get started, dreading that it would take most of the day to complete my tasks.  It wasn't long before I noticed that Chris was working on chores also.  He took it upon himself to pick something off the list and get going.  Working together we got that list done before lunch.  It was beautiful, and gave us the whole rainy afternoon to enjoy. 

The harmony of together and apart; it is what makes my relationship work. 

Thank you Cate for the reminder.

1 comment:

I love comments, so thank you in advance! If I reply to comments I usually do so by email, so if your email address is not public in Blogger feel free to email me at thedayslikethis@gmail.com so I have your email to respond to you. Also, please note that I moderate comments, so your comment should appear shortly (unless you are a spammer, in which case I will delete your comment and stick my tongue out in your general direction).