Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Bits-and-Pieces

1.  I saw a little finch hopping around in the grass while on my lunch hour today.  He reminded me of these four finches we had at pets when I was younger.  My mom let my brother and I keep the cage in our shared bedroom.  I don't recall how old my brother was but I think he was probably about 4 and that would mean I was about 9.  We still had not named them yet and one of the birds didn't fancy my little brother poking his grubby finger in the cage and would peck at him.  So my brother decided he should be named "Pecker." My mom quickly vetoed that idea and if I recall correctly the four finches were names after the Ghostbusters instead.  Weird how odd memories gets stirred up like that.

2.  September is the month of surgery in my little world.  My dad is currently recovering from hernia surgery from yesterday, and my husband is due for shoulder surgery on the 30th.  I guess that means that October will be the month of healing around these parts as well. 

3.  Last week we consolidated our credit card debits and will have them paid off in five years!  This is one of the biggest items on my Life List and I am happy to say that we are finally making a very large leap in progress to this goal.  Ultimately in five years we will have our cars and credit card debit paid off, hopefully leaving room for us to buy a camper so we can go camping anytime we want! 

4.  Tonight my shows start back up again and I am excited to have something to look forward to each week.  Again this year the only two shows that I really want to watch are on two different networks on the same day and time slot! Go figure.  So I will either watch Glee and watch NCIS online later or watch NCIS and watch Glee online later.  Either way I am happy to see them both back on the air again.  There are so many other shows out there that look good but I am determined to limit myself so that I don't end up wasting valuable time watching TV that I could use for sewing.

5.  I remember tales of what my parents first dog would do while they were away at work.  They talked of the dread coming home knowing they would find some new mess made by the dog.  I'm getting a little taste of that myself these days.  Now that Mason and Eddie have fully bonded as brothers they have started getting into trouble together.  Today I came home to find they managed to get a package of hotdog buns, rip it open and eat 4 1/2 of the remaining buns.  They were kind enough to leave me half a bun on the living room floor, you know, so they didn't seem too greedy.  Those little shits!  Good thing they are really cute and snugly or they would be pug-sausage!


2 comments:

  1. I think "Pecker" was a very appropriate name for that birdy!

    Thinking good thoughts for your dad and your husband for surgeries and healing.

    Yay consolidation! We were in quite the hole at one point and managed to dig out so it can be done!

    I haven't decided yet if I'll watch Glee this season or not. I might. It sounds like the things that turned me off last season (all the guest stars and themes) will be toned down. Still, I need to limit my viewing, like you. I recorded 5 hours of shows last night (though one was a 2 hr finale). Ridiculous.

    You are in for such a world of trouble, surrounded by so many boys. What happens when Ian starts adding to the mischief? Maybe he can just blame the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Pecker story totally makes me giggle. Heh. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so thank you in advance! If I reply to comments I usually do so by email, so if your email address is not public in Blogger feel free to email me at thedayslikethis@gmail.com so I have your email to respond to you. Also, please note that I moderate comments, so your comment should appear shortly (unless you are a spammer, in which case I will delete your comment and stick my tongue out in your general direction).