Friday, September 09, 2011

Being Ian

I thought I would give an update on a few little things that made me smile about Ian.

He repeats things from movies all the time.
"Oh Yeah!" from Despicable Me's "bad guy" Vector.
"MA Ma MAAA! Crunchy creamy cookie candy cupcake." vocal exercises used by Rango
"I have eyes that can see through lead" as sung by Metro Man from Megamind

Ian loves to sing, especially when he knows the words.  His favorite is Twinkle, Twinkle and he does in fact know most of the words.  Color me impressed...and melting.

Cowboy hats go with everything and should be worn for all occasions, including bedtime.  Also, you cannot watch the movie Rango without a cowboy hat on and a rocking recliner "horse" to ride.

While out on a daddy/son shopping trip Ian exclaimed as they passed a McDonalds, "Cookies. Chocolate milk. I need them."  He has been using the word "need" ever since for things he wants really badly.  For the record, yes he did get the cookie and chocolate milk he needed so badly.  Who can resist someone so cute?

Ian pretends to fart on me and thinks it is hilarious.

Ian has been helping with dinner now and then.  Chris likes to have Ian help him make potatoes and I always get him help to shuck the corn then we have it on the cob. Ian thinks shucking corn is the most fun and amazing task ever. I love seeing him gasp when he peels back the final layer that reveals the corn. It is like it surprises him every time.  The help is pretty much awesome too!

He love pumpkins but occasionally slips and calls them "penguins." I brought him one that is made of foam and is meant to be carved like a real pumpkin.  He filled it with little toy cars through the hole in the bottom that you put the flickering fake candle into.  I suppose it makes a clever little parking garage.

Ian will chant "open the door" until I unlatch the safety gate by our front entrance.  Then he will rush the front door and unlock and open it himself.  He looks so proud to be able to do such a big kid task himself.  Good thing for that gate still being a deterrent for him or I would have to add another deadbolt at the top of the door to keep Ian from slipping out whenever he felt like it.

I remember my mom telling me about how one of her favorite things about little kids is when they pat you.  Now I really know what she meant by that.  Ian will come up and just pat my shoulder, and you can just feel the love zapping through him to me with each little pat.  Sometimes when I get upset he will tell me "its ok Mom" and give me a few little pats.  Yes Ian, as along as you are with me everything is ok.

Last night it slipped me mind that Chris headed out for a walk.  Realizing he wasn't around I assumed he just went to the bathroom.  So when Ian asked after his dad, I told him he was probably in the potty.  Ian looked at me like I was losing it and said "no, he went for walk."  My kid is already smarter than I am. Send help.

You all know that you can get hugs and kisses, but what you may not know is there are times that you much both hug and kiss.  Ian calls those a "hugkiss."  When he drop him off at day care he always asks for a "hugkiss" and he will usually demand one from someone at day care for before leaving for the day.  He is so affectionate!  They actually are trying to train him at day care to kiss on the cheek because he insists on kissing everyone on the lips.  Hopefully he will be use to cheek kisses before the cold and flu stuff starts up this year.

Having a son makes my life so complete.  How did I live so long without all the sweet silliness above in my life? 


3 comments:

  1. "sweet silliness"--yes, one of the great joys of parenting. So glad you are enjoying AND recording his adorableness!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being Ian sounds like such a fun thing to be. I love the cowboy hat obsession.

    I'm still partial to wanting a little girl but there are certain little boys that make me a big fan. Ian's definitely one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that he seems surprised by the corn every time. That's adorable.

    Also, pumpkins rock! Ian has good taste!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so thank you in advance! If I reply to comments I usually do so by email, so if your email address is not public in Blogger feel free to email me at thedayslikethis@gmail.com so I have your email to respond to you. Also, please note that I moderate comments, so your comment should appear shortly (unless you are a spammer, in which case I will delete your comment and stick my tongue out in your general direction).