Recently my husband and I have been talking about how high our cable television bill has been getting. It seems that every time we turn around the cable company is raising the rates again!
For the past few weeks we have been running a little experiment to see if we could live without cable and use just Hulu and Boxee for our television watching desires. Chris has it set up so that these services stream through the PS3 to the television...and I am happy to report that it is working!
So this afternoon Chris is going to go and turn in our cable box and turn off the service. It will be a difficult transition to have a few more steps than just turning on the tv, but for the monthly savings I think it is worth it. Ian won't know the difference between cable and a DVD so he won't care too much about the change. I am going to have to check into a Mickey Mouse Club House DVD, because I know I will miss seeing Ian shake his groove thing to the Hot Dog Dance song. Other than that and CNN there isn't much we will be missing out on.
Our goal is to go at least three months without cable, or much longer if we find that it isn't something we miss all that much. Hopefully we will find many activities more fun than watching television during our switch off.
What are your favorite activities for when the TV is off?
Friday, March 05, 2010
2 comments:
I love comments, so thank you in advance! If I reply to comments I usually do so by email, so if your email address is not public in Blogger feel free to email me at thedayslikethis@gmail.com so I have your email to respond to you. Also, please note that I moderate comments, so your comment should appear shortly (unless you are a spammer, in which case I will delete your comment and stick my tongue out in your general direction).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Here's the way we keep our cable cheap -- whenever they up the price, I call and tell them I want to cancel and they ALWAYS find me a better deal. They upped our bill for cable and internet from $62.00 to $104.00 in December, and I called once and got it down to $84.00 and then called again a couple weeks later and got it down to $75.00.
ReplyDeleteWe turned off our cable in January 2008, relying only on Netflix ($17.84 per month). We stream tv shows and movies with Netflix's "watch now" section (through our blueray DVD player for free). Also, last month, we bought a new digital box to attach to our old antennae and now we get the basic channels and PBS super clear.
ReplyDeleteGood luck. I think you'll be happy with the change once you adjust.