Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Plague

Our look on the bright side moment of the day.


With all the cases of the Swine Flu popping up and the media scaring people out of their minds lets just be happy that we are not in fact out of our minds. Back in 1518 in Strasbourg, France there was a very bazaar plague that took place during the month of July...the Dancing Plague. Yeah that's right, the Dancing Plague of 1518. It started with one women who began dancing and could not stop for DAYS, and soon there were more. 400 some people danced and danced for days some eventually dying of heart attack, stroke or exhaustion. The best explanation for why this happened was ergot, a mold that grows on rye. It would give a person who consumed it convulsions and delusions.

All I have to say is that I am very glad that I don't have to worry about that appearing on my tombstone.

"Melinda S. - wife - mother - died of the Dancing Plague - Ole'"

*Thanks to Scott for use of the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so thank you in advance! If I reply to comments I usually do so by email, so if your email address is not public in Blogger feel free to email me at thedayslikethis@gmail.com so I have your email to respond to you. Also, please note that I moderate comments, so your comment should appear shortly (unless you are a spammer, in which case I will delete your comment and stick my tongue out in your general direction).