Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Names
I read an editorial today on names and how a "bad" name can affect your ability to get a job. I thought it was very interesting that the author changed her ethnic name and got a job offer right away. I read through the comments and another person said that she legally changed her name because it caused her so much trouble. Reading this editorial made me not feel so bad for thinking so hard about what to name my son. We tossed around names during the entire pregnancy and didn't even pick THE ONE until he was 12 hours old. It really does matter that a persons name sounds professional, and doesn't have goofy or negative associations. I feel bad for the kids that get screwed up names: like that actress that named her kid Apple...seriously the kid is going to have to be an actress or a stripper because no one would elect her senator or publish her book on quantum physics because of her name. I see so many students names at work and think what where their parents thinking? These poor kids have to live with and deal with the consequences of their parents uniqueness. Every child is unique naturally...they don't need bazaar names to prove it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love comments, so thank you in advance! If I reply to comments I usually do so by email, so if your email address is not public in Blogger feel free to email me at thedayslikethis@gmail.com so I have your email to respond to you. Also, please note that I moderate comments, so your comment should appear shortly (unless you are a spammer, in which case I will delete your comment and stick my tongue out in your general direction).