Friday, March 20, 2009

Quote and Book Recommendation

"Maybe it use to take a village to raise a child, but that was long before the village was made up of so many idiots." - Rebecca Woolf in Rockabye: From Wild to Child (said in reference to the bazaar advice strangers force upon mothers, like the new moms are breaking some rules or something.)

I recently purchased and read Rockabye which is written by one of my favorite bloggers, Rebecca Woolf of Girls Gone Child. It is a memoir of how her life changed after she unexpected got pregnant, and had the baby (Archer...I like that name. Original without being odd). I love her wit and how she trusts her instincts. While I cannot relate to her unexpected motherhood, I totally understand her struggle to find mom friends and people to relate to in her new roll as mother.

I was the first of my friends (who live near me) to have a baby. I have felt very lonely at times not having anyone close to me that I can really relate to and have baby play dates with. It is hard for friends who don't have kids to understand why I am spacey (had to get up at 4:30am because Ian woke up and would not go back to sleep.) Sometimes when we get together they are overly concerned when Ian cries (hey, babies cry it doesn't always something wrong and yeah I guess it is magic that I can tell the difference.)

Things have been changing, my close friend Chantel is pregnant and is due in August. I have also found support online through a amazing group of mommy bloggers who are so bold and open to write about their lives and experiences. It is so helpful to be able to read these women's stories and feel a connection, "I am not alone, someone else understands what I am going through!" It doesn't hurt at all that they are very funny, and great writers.

Check out these amazing bloggers:
Girls Gone Child
Dooce
Finslippy
Storked

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so thank you in advance! If I reply to comments I usually do so by email, so if your email address is not public in Blogger feel free to email me at thedayslikethis@gmail.com so I have your email to respond to you. Also, please note that I moderate comments, so your comment should appear shortly (unless you are a spammer, in which case I will delete your comment and stick my tongue out in your general direction).