Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Going Green

I have been thinking about the recent trend of "going green" to save the planet. While some things that people do are still a bit outlandish in my mind, I have a high respect for the need to conserve our natural resources so that our children have the opportunity to enjoy the planet in all its glory. Since Earth Day was just last week I have been thinking about what steps I am taking to go green. Of course we recycle, and we are lucky enough to live in a town that picks up the recycling with the trash for a small fee tacked onto the water bill. It is convenient, easy and cuts down on our trash which we pay by the bag to be rid of. We have switched almost all of our light bulbs to energy efficient bulbs, and our attic is recently full of new insulation to help cut down on heating and cooling. We take stuff we don't want anymore to Goodwill...someone else could use it. This weekend I purchased some reusable shopping bags so I have no more need for plastic bags when I go to get groceries. Small things yes, but every little thing will help. If I work to add one more item to my going green list every now and then the transition will be seamless and the planet will be that much better for my little boy.

Green tasks on my to-do list
  • use green paint http://www.thefreshairechoicepaint.com/contact.html
  • no watering the lawn this summer
  • change out the rest of my bulbs to energy efficient bulbs
  • buy green cleaning products
  • buy some more reusable shopping bags and some reusable lunch bags
  • cut down on gasoline usage in cars and lawn mower (who cares if the lawn is longer)
  • set the termostat a few degrees cooler in winter and a few degrees warmer in summer
  • unplug unused appliances and power cords
  • look into a water filter to replace our bottled water (local water is not fit to drink as is)
  • get books at the library instead of buying them

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so thank you in advance! If I reply to comments I usually do so by email, so if your email address is not public in Blogger feel free to email me at thedayslikethis@gmail.com so I have your email to respond to you. Also, please note that I moderate comments, so your comment should appear shortly (unless you are a spammer, in which case I will delete your comment and stick my tongue out in your general direction).