Tuesday, August 27, 2013

I've got a feeling

Last night Chris invited Ian to sleep in our room with us.  It came out of the blue and I gave him a look as if to say, "we are trying to get him to sleep better in his room, are you sure about this?"  He went ahead and put Ian to bed in our room and we all crammed into the bed last night.

I've thought this in the past but this morning I'm more convinced than ever that Chris is a little bit clairvoyant.  Last night there was a really big thunderstorm in our area and lightning struck the big tree in our back yard.  Thankfully the half on the other side was the one to fall, because if it had been the other side it would have come directly into Ian's room crushing the wall at the head of Ian's bed.  I would rather not think about what would have happened if that was the case.


With all the branches it is hard to tell at this point, how much damage was done.  Our shed is clearly damaged, the riding lawnmower has taken some damage but I think it will still work.  The pool that was to the right of the shed in the picture above is gone.  All that is left is what looks like a blue tarp on the ground in that corner of the yard.  There is some damage to the fence on the side and back of our yard.

Even with all that damage, I feel so very lucky that the tree fell away from our house, and that Chris had some unconscious thought to have Ian in our room.  If just one of those things had been different I would be telling a very different story this morning.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Melinda! I am so glad you guys are safe. I hope the "recovery effort" isn't too much of a hassle. Trees can be dangerous things! I'm also so, so glad this didn't start a fire on your property!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO SO glad you guys are ok. What a scary thing to happen! So glad the tree fell away from the house.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so thank you in advance! If I reply to comments I usually do so by email, so if your email address is not public in Blogger feel free to email me at thedayslikethis@gmail.com so I have your email to respond to you. Also, please note that I moderate comments, so your comment should appear shortly (unless you are a spammer, in which case I will delete your comment and stick my tongue out in your general direction).