Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Open Water

My son (17 month old today) has a fear of open water. By open water I mean the bathtub, pools, my mom's large kitchen sink... basically anything larger than a baby tub or divided sink.

Last night we tried again to get him to take a bath in the tub (again), you know the one that comes with the house. In a nutshell, it didn't go well. I sat him in the tub on a towel (so he wouldn't slip around) and he instantly stood up and began to howl the howl of a toddler not getting his way. As he attempted to escape the tub by any means available to him, he started to slip.

Being a determined mom I quickly stripped to my underwear and got into the tub with him. I knelt down and had him sit on my knees so I could wash him up. He screamed the whole time, looking up at his Dad with an accusing look, "How dare you let her do this to me?"

I managed to get his body washed, but there was no chance for the hair. My husband got Ian out of the tub, dried him off, and calmed him down. Meanwhile I stayed in the tub and tried splashing around in an attempt to show Ian it was fun to be in the bath. He waved his arms like he was splashing too, but ran away when it was suggested he get back in.

My kid is so not a fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so thank you in advance! If I reply to comments I usually do so by email, so if your email address is not public in Blogger feel free to email me at thedayslikethis@gmail.com so I have your email to respond to you. Also, please note that I moderate comments, so your comment should appear shortly (unless you are a spammer, in which case I will delete your comment and stick my tongue out in your general direction).