Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cash Back

This weekend I was in Detroit visiting family and going to the Detroit Science Center. Before we left my family's place to go downtown to the Science Center I decided to stop at a local CVS to get a drink and some cash back just in case we needed cash during the day.

I went insides the store, went to the back and got a pop out of the cooler for my husband and then I headed up to the cash register to pay with my debit card and request cash back. I was informed by the very unfriendly cashier that the limit was $35. Ok, no big deal. So I punch in $35 on the key pad and press enter.

When the transaction was approved the cash drawer pops open and the very unfriendly cashier pulls out a twenty, a ten, and then a pile of fives which she then rolled up into a ball. She just wadded the money up, rolled it around a while, then half-assed flatten it back out. She plucked out one of the fives she just crinkled all to hell, and snapped it in between her fingers about 10 times, just in case it magically would duplicate and she would give me two fives instead of the one I was still owed.

After several minutes the very unfriendly cashier felt certain she was giving me only one crumpled up five dollar bill she scowled at me and handed me the bill. I shoved it in my purse and pretty much ran for the car.

I have seen and heard a lot of weird things while living in and returning to visit Detroit but I think this little experience takes the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so thank you in advance! If I reply to comments I usually do so by email, so if your email address is not public in Blogger feel free to email me at thedayslikethis@gmail.com so I have your email to respond to you. Also, please note that I moderate comments, so your comment should appear shortly (unless you are a spammer, in which case I will delete your comment and stick my tongue out in your general direction).