Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Bits-and-Pieces

I know I already posted today, but since I didn't get the review of our week camping up in time for Monday, I have decided to continue with this week's Bits-and-Pieces anyway.  I think you are all smart and quite able to deal with the additional reading. <3

1.  I'm only two days into returning to work from my vacation and I'm already ready for another vacation!  I'm am not however ready to have another speedy 4 minute for a quarter shower at the campground.  That was the most intense shower ever.  The pressure was so high you didn't need to use the next quarter, all the dirty and maybe some skin was blast right off in the fire hose strength stream of water. 

2.  My husband asked me to try making a rum cake for him after having some cake my parents brought back from a cruise trip to, I think it was Grand Cayman.  So I found a recipe and made a rum cake.  It turned out to be pretty good.  We ate it, we shared it with friends, and by Monday there was about a quarter of it left over.  Stupidly I thought if I left it on the table pushed back to the wall the dogs wouldn't get at it.  WRONG!  I came home for lunch on Monday and sat down to the table with my sandwich.  When I glanced up, across the table after I finished eating, I noticed the plate where the rum cake once sat.  It was empty.  After calling the vet and Chris coming home mid-afternoon to check on the dogs we were confident that it didn't make them sick, but it sure did make me sick.  I wanted a piece of cake for desert!

3.  Sunday I was lucky enough to host a Discover Canning House Party, via houseparty.com.  They sent all sorts of goodies to get my and my guests going with learning to can.  I decided to make Strawberry Rhubarb jam.  Sadly I only had three guests actually show up besides Chris and myself, Chantel, Dan and their daughter Isabelle.  Chantel and I worked to make the jam and the guys entertained the kids.  I learned a valuable lesson about jam...always make it in a pot double what you think you will need.  The blasted stuff boiled over and I am still trying to get it all off my new stove.  However, it all turned out good and we left the event with 6 jars each.  I kept 3 for myself, my mom and my mother-in-law and gave away the other three jars.  Yum.

4.  Thanks to not having many guests I have some extra goodies from the Discover Canning party left over.  You know what that means?  That means you should be sure to come back to the blog later this week for a GIVEAWAY!

5.  I'm getting a new phone this week and I'm about to do my first cartwheel over it!  My phone is dying a slow and painful death so a new one cannot come soon enough.  I'm tired of answering a call and waiting another ring before the phone actually responds to engage the caller.  So soon I will be the owner of a shiny new iPhone.  Yup, I've gone to the dark side.  At least that is what Chris will likely say about my choice.   He is a little less than a fan of Apple products.  After my research into my options the iPhone just seemed like the best option for me, and it will match my iPad.  haha...I sound so ridiculous.  Now excuse me while I go find a coffee shop to sit at surrounded by my Apple gadgets.

6.  I bought a t-shirt that has a picture of the candy Nerds on it and it ready "Talk Nerdy to Me."  The first time I wore it, my husband starting rattling off a lot of technical computer terms that I can't even write down to you because I didn't understand any of it.  He thought that he was pretty funny.  I just got the shirt because the little Nerds candy dude is cute.

7.  I know this is long but I only have one more thing...I promise.

8.  My best friend Sarah came to visit us while we were camping.  She brought me a jar of Naturally Nutty Butter Toffee Peanut Butter.  I may die when the jar is gone.  It is the most delicious thing I have tasted in my whole life.  Thank you Sarah!  This peanut butter is made in Traverse City Michigan, a place I haven't ever been before in my fine state.  I think that a trip (or online order) will be in my future.  I can't imagine a world anymore that does not contain this peanut butter.  Holy Yum!

2 comments:

  1. I think the iPhone will be a great choice for you! Hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The water pressure in that shower sounds nice to me! :)

    My dream phone is an iPhone (from Verizon) but they're just a LOT out of my price range! Haha. My phone is holding out well even though I'm eligible for an upgrade. Maybe when she finally does give up I'll be able to afford the iPhone.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so thank you in advance! If I reply to comments I usually do so by email, so if your email address is not public in Blogger feel free to email me at thedayslikethis@gmail.com so I have your email to respond to you. Also, please note that I moderate comments, so your comment should appear shortly (unless you are a spammer, in which case I will delete your comment and stick my tongue out in your general direction).