Friday, May 25, 2012

Parenthood Engineering 101

I think that in addition to the standard childbirth and breastfeeding classes they offer new parents, there should be some sort of parenthood engineering class for dealing with all the toys.  Oh my goodness, the toys and their packaging and the putting them together!  Of all the things in parenthood this just might be the hardest thing yet.

A while back I bought Ian a child size soccer goal and hid it away thinking I would save it for his birthday this year.  Then I decided that by August most of the summer fun he could have with it would be gone so I planned to just put the thing together for him now.

After I picked Ian up from day care yesterday I showed him his new toy and asked him to help me put it together.  I thought it would just be snap a few poles together and string the net on and done.

HA HA HA HA! No.

An hour later, after navigating the "directions" which were a series of drawings that did little to help direct me toward the finished product.  In the end I just used some logic, some sweat and a couple tools they didn't indicate you would need to make the damn thing go together.

Of course Ian promptly decided it made a better fort than a goal.

I put together Ian's soccer goal. Naturally he is now using it as a fort.

Then we invited Ian's friend Isabelle over for some soccer in the yard.  They played something that only slightly resembled soccer for a bit then took to chasing each other around in circles.  Much fun was had and we ended with two very tuckered out kiddos.

Ian and Isabelle taking a break after playing something resembling soccer.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I just know that these products are designed and packaged by sadists!!

    Love the rosy cheeks of kids who have been playing hard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Beth, "packaged by sadists".

    Looks like the kiddos really enjoyed it :) Well done, mama!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so thank you in advance! If I reply to comments I usually do so by email, so if your email address is not public in Blogger feel free to email me at thedayslikethis@gmail.com so I have your email to respond to you. Also, please note that I moderate comments, so your comment should appear shortly (unless you are a spammer, in which case I will delete your comment and stick my tongue out in your general direction).