On Saturday we met Les Stroud, otherwise known as Survivorman. Chris and I have been fan of his since the very first Survivorman show. When I saw on his Facebook that he would be at the new Cabela's grand opening in Grandville, MI, I knew we had to make the trip there.
A little background on our love to Les Stroud: the night we brought Ian home from the hospital Chris let me sleep for a while and watched Survivorman episodes with tiny baby Ian. Even now Ian will watch old episodes with us, and his particular favorite is an episode of Beyond Survival where Les visited the San Bushmen of the Kalahari.
So on Saturday we packed ourselves up and made the two hours drive, and then the hour and a half wait in line to meet Les Stroud. While we waited in line, a man gave each person a print and put a post-it on it with the correct spelling of our name, to make it easier on Les to sign autographs. Ian told the man his name and spelled it out for him, I-A-N.
When we got our turn in front of Les Stroud, Ian was the first of us three to hand over his print. He told Les his name was Ian, I-A-N. Ian was very concerned that he knew how to spell his name so he spelled it again. When Les handed the print back to Ian, Les pointed to each letter I-A-N. Ian wasn't satisfied because Les wrote the I with just a line without the cross lines at the top and bottom. So he actually made Les correct it! I pretty much was ready to die at that moment, but Les found Ian pretty amusing.
Just before we got up in line I warned Ian that if he was good and took a picture with Les I would give him a treat in the car. Chris bought of cookies that we waiting for just such a bribe. We posed for a quick picture (see above) but Ian was too busy examining his name on the autograph to look up. After we were done Ian declares right to Les, "what do I get for this?" expecting to get that treat here and now. Les said it looked like we have a future CEO with him. Thankfully Ian was much more amusing than annoying.
Overall it was a great trip. Les Stroud was very nice and it stuck me that his personality is exactly like it appears on his shows. He doesn't seem like he is putting on airs at all.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
That's so awesome! Makes me want to try out that show.
ReplyDelete