We let Ian use the iPad to play games and watch cartoons, but some people seem to find this unfathomable that we would let a three (almost four) year-old play with something so expensive. So I thought I would write up a little something about why we let Ian use the iPad and what he is allowed to do with it.
First, I find that the benefits from carefully selected learning apps far outweighs the risk of damage my kid might do to the device. Second, learning to handle something that is expensive and belongs to someone else is a very good lesson in respect and care. Third, I'm no fool and put a SquareTrade warranty on the iPad from the get go, to cover any accidents.
I have spent a great deal of time hunting down (and pre-testing) the best selection of apps that will entertain Ian and also provide some manner of educational content along the way. Yes, he does have access to some essentially mindless games, but he also has some favorites that are really advancing him and helping us prepare him for starting school next year. We have a multitude of apps to aid with learning the alphabet, handwriting (with the help of a stylus that I got at Walgreen's for a mere five bones,) reading, puzzles, shapes, colors, following directions. I'm amazed with how fast this kid can fly through some of these learning games!
So here are a small handful of some of, what I consider, to be the best apps out there for preschooler age kids. All of these apps are not only approved by me but also favorites of Ian when he gets iPad time. Yes, many of them cost money but I didn't buy them all at once and they are so worth the money. I consider it an investment in his preschool preparation.
Monkey Preschool Lunchbox ($0.99) : Ian has grown out of this one, but it is my number one recommendation for the 2-3 year old set. It has counting, colors, shapes, fruit, puzzles and the layout is perfect for the age group! When your child gets questions right they can pick a sticker to put on their board as a reward. This would be a great app to start out your preschool age child using an iPad or iPhone. (It also happens to be available for Android.)
PBS KIDS Video (free) : Kids can access PBS Kids programming and watch videos they can select from themselves. It is a simple and easy to use format that I am comfortable letting Ian loose to watch whatever he chooses. (Also available on Android)
Super Why ($2.99) : This is a new one for us, and it includes four sections, one for each character from the PBS show. They cover letter hunt, writing, rhyming words, and identifying the correct word to finish a sentence. So far I really like this one, and Ian enjoys playing with some of his favorite characters. (Also on Android)
Zoo Train ($1.99) : With this app Ian is in heaven with his favorite thing, trains. He can pick from several activities: building a train or train track, music, building words, or picture puzzles.
iWrite Words ($2.99) : There is a free version of this app with three letters and three words, but it is worth every penny to buy the full version. I LOVE that when Ian writes a word it shows it exactly how he writes it, so he can see his own handwriting. He can pick letters (upper or lower case) and words to write along with the guide. I like him to use the stylus for this game so he is actually practicing writing. This is my number one recommendation for apps. You will not be sorry!
Disney books and puzzle apps: Finding Nemo: My Puzzle Book ($1.99), Toy Story Read-Along (free), and Cars Lightning Was Here: My Puzzle Book ($0.99), Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Road Rally (free), and Handy Manny Workshop ($0.99). They have interactive read-along books and puzzles. The puzzles are great and Ian is really good at them, but I love that he is reading along with the story. Anything to help build a love for reading is good in my book.
Stack The States ($0.99) : This one is for older kids already reading, but I like to play it with Ian. I read him the trivia question and guide him to the right answer. While he isn't really playing this, he is learning a little about the states along the way and enjoying himself. The format is really fun, and I would really recommend keeping this one in mind for older school age kids to help with geography. They have an app for countries too, but I haven't gone there yet.
Please keep in mind that I paid for all of these apps with my own, hard earned, money and that not one of these opinions is sponsored. I just really like these learning apps for the preschool set and wanted to share with you in the case you might find it useful. Sorry they are mostly iTunes apps, but that is what we have so that is what we use. Thanks for reading.
Very interesting! One of the problems we have with the iPad around here is that everyone wants to use it at the same time, and I kind of wish I hadn't gotten 7yo started on it. Some of those apps look great even for her though! We haven't bought insurance for it but probably should, it's already been dropped once or twice.
ReplyDeleteAs mentioned on Twitter, the world has changed dramatically since I was a little kid with one TV in the house that only grown-ups were allowed to touch! I'm still wary that electronics may take over in places they don't need to, but obviously they're ubiquitous and we all might was well get used to it. :)
Very cool. I may have to check out some of these apps that have Android versions. My kids play on my phone & Kindle Fire too. Lately they've been playing fewer "educational" games and more "just fun" ones and I want a little bit of a better balance.
ReplyDeleteThis is brilliant! Thanks for the review of the apps, I was actually thinking I'd ask you which ones you guys use just the other day. :)
ReplyDelete